Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ab Time

I joined a new gym three weeks ago and yesterday while I was there I decided to look at the class schedule to see if there was a class I wanted to attend. This comes with the caveat that I have an intense fear of any aerobics type class. I have no rhythm and find that these classes provide much more stress that they are worth for me. By the time I finally get the hang of any move the class has invariably moved on to the next step and it's always awful to be watching yourself in a mirror and see you are the one always the one person on the opposite beat of everyone else.

On the class schedule there was a 25 minute class entitled "Awesome Abs." I figured that this class wouldn't have any aerobics or dance moves I could screw up and if it did I could handle 25 minutes of humiliation if I was on the road to "awesome abs."
I showed up at the class which is held on the gym's basketball court, I looked all around and couldn't figure out who the instructor was going to be so I asked one of the students what I needed for the class. She told me I'd need a mat, step, barbell, band and hand weights. The class started and about 15 minutes into the class we had only used the mat. I thought it was a little odd. What I did not know was that "Awesome Abs" leads directly into "NRC Bar." I still don't know what NRC stands for, but what I do know that it was an hour long class full of crazy aerobic moves while you are holding a barbell, hand weights or jumping on and off a step.

The best part was that I got a barbell without really knowing what I was going to be using it for, thinking that in a 25 minute ab class I could go for a heavier barbell. This was a big mistake. I also have terrible balance which made the whole experience even more interesting. In the end, I couldn't help but just laugh at myself and enjoy my totally uncoordinated workout.

1 comment:

Jay M. said...

The NRC thing is hilarious, and I love that drawing. I feel your pain.