Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pancakes or Patchouli?

Every year for Christmas my family gets a package from friends in Colorado. The package always contains homemade jam and some baking mixes. This year the package arrived per usual and contained huckleberry pancake mix. The problem began with the fact that the pancake mix was in a cloth bag that smelled like patchouli soap.

I'm sure the mix was purchased at some nice gift shop that sold lots of nice stuff including soap, but it was as if the mix has been stored in a box with soap or incense for a very long time. The aroma was overpowering. I made the suggestion that we should, perhaps, toss the mix. However my dad said that because there was a plastic bag inside the cloth one, "It'll be fine!" I was informed we would be having it for breakfast the next morning.

The next morning my dad makes the pancakes and thinks as he is cooking that it does smell soapy, but thinks it's the cloth bag sitting on the counter. I am served the first pancakes and am presented with a pile of what can only be described as steaming soapy pancakes. I don't want to be deemed as picky and they do look normal so I am brave and take a bite.

This was a big mistake, the pancakes taste just as they smell or maybe worse. My mouth is engulfed with a soapy, horrible flavor. I spit the bite back on to my plate. Luckily, my mom has been equally dubious since she smelled the pancakes cooking and takes a small bite and also spits it back out. We ended up having toast for boxing day breakfast instead.

1 comment:

Tom said...

In my defense, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I really did not mean to poison my family, officer. It was a simple mistake. How was I to know that pancake batter is not supposed to foam when you stir it? The devil made me do it.