Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

Growing up we were only allowed to watch PBS and Saturday morning cartoons. I was (am) a huge fan of Sesame Street. The show had been educating and entertaining kids for 40 years now! I can't say I've adjusted to Elmo (I am more of a Grover fan) but I love the continual effort the show has put into holding the attention of each new generation of kids.

NPR replayed a great interview with Caroll Spinney, who plays Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, this week. He explains how he morphed Big Bird from a simple character to a more childlike creature. I couldn't help but include the below clip that I remember watching when I was little, I think it was one of the first times I learned the concept of death. The adult political conversation at the beginning is also awesome, I don't think they have scenes quite like this on the current show. I will warn you reader, that I still can't get through the clip without crying.

1 comment:

Jay M. said...

ok, so I choked up a bit here. but you know, in a manly way.